Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Voices I Hear, Real or Imagined

"The words a father speaks to his children in the privacy of the home are not overheard at the time, but as in whispering galleries, they will be heard at the end and by posterity".
~Jean Paul Friedrich Richter

As my daddy's birthday approaches, I have spent many moments remembering him and things he said to me over the course of time. It's funny the things you remember. I will call this post: "Voices I Hear, Real or Imagined".

"You're daddy's baby girl".

"Come here and give me some sugar".

"Don't cry! Daddy will be home soon".

"Take good care of Trooper".

"Who hurt my baby girl?"

"This is your new sister and brother". Insta-family. Swell.

"You stay away from your brother Bobby. He plays too rough!"

"Merry Christmas. I hope you love your new coat". I didn't. I hated that thing!

No one loves you like your dad".

"Get off the phone!"

"You are forbidden to date Brad any longer".

I hear the words my dad spoke to me over & over again. They were always spoken out of love. We had a relationship of trust and affection. I love to listen and hear his voice. His voice spoke to me, and I always listened. I didn't always obey, but I did listen.

More to come...

2 comments:

Natalie said...

So cute! I love that first picture. You're such a chunk! Love Uncle Jerry's little innocent face! Cute, cute pictures.

Ruth said...

Cute photos and great idea to honor your father this way on his birthday.